Housing Counseling

Housing Counselors provide a variety of services to low and moderate income residents of Philadelphia. Contracted by the City of Philadelphia Office of Housing and Community Development and the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency, the following services are available through Housing Counselors:

  • Foreclosure Intervention/ Mortgage Default and Delinquency Counseling. There is funding available for Homelessness Prevention. Click here for more information.
  • Anti-predatory Loan Counseling including assisting Consumers to apply for a home repair, improvement and energy conservation loans as well as mortgage refinance.
  • Property Taxes and Water liens
  • Assist with LOOP, HOMESTEAD, Senior Tax Freeze Applications
  • Assist with Back Taxes on Property By completing the OOPA (Owner Occupied Payment Agreement) and going through the Tax Court Program with you (New)
  • Assist with personal budget and credit rating (see below)

Please make an appointment to meet with a housing counselor by calling 215-634-2000 ext. 325. When you come to see a Housing Counselor, bring with you:

  • Birth certificate
  • Social Security card
  • Proof of income and public benefit award letters for the household
  • Photo ID
  • Bank statements
  • Mortgage statements and delinquency notices
  • Property tax or Water lien information
  • Housing Counselors will also help with fair housing complaints and violations of Section 504 regarding housing rights of people with disabilities.

LRI can also help if you live in an institution and want to move to the community. Check out the Transitioning/Youth Services page for more information.

Download the PDF format of the 2017 Fair Housing Newsletter here.