Managed Care Resource Center
Beginning January 2019
Community Health Choices (CHC), Pennsylvania’s managed care program is coming to Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia counites.
If you currently use home and community-based services (HCBS) under one of the Medicaid Waivers (Aging Waiver, Attendant Care Waiver, Independence Waiver, OBRA Waiver and COMMCARE Waiver) or an individual who is dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid, it is important for you to know that important changes are coming.
The Pennsylvania Department of Human Services will be replacing these existing waivers with one program called Community Health Choices (CHC).
Community Health Choices (CHC) is a Medicaid managed care program. This means you will choose a health plan to manage all of your physical health care and long-term services and supports.
CHC WILL NOT CHANGE YOUR MEDICARE BENEFITS
There are three managed care health plans to choose from:
- Keystone First Community HealthChoices
- PA Health & Wellness
- UPMC Community HealthChoices
If you qualify for CHC, you will receive more information in August of 2018 to help you pick a plan.
If you don’t choose a company in your region, you will be automatically enrolled if you are age 21 or older and
- Get both Medicare and Medicaid,OR
- Get LTSS in the Attendant Care, Independence, COMMCARE, or Aging waivers,OR
- Get LTSS in the OBRA waiver and qualify clinically for a nursing facility,OR
- Get care in a nursing home paid for by Medicaid
You do not qualify for CHC if you
- Get LTSS in the OBRA waiver and do not qualify clinically for a nursing facility level of care;OR
- Have an intellectual or developmental disability and get services through the Department of Human Services Office of Developmental Programs, OR
- Live in a state-operated nursing facility, including the state veterans’ homes
For more Information on Community Health Choices, visit http://www.healthchoices.pa.gov/info/about/community/index.htm
For Frequently asked questions, visit http://www.healthchoices.pa.gov/providers/about/community/participantfaqs/index.htm
For the differences between Medicare and Medicaid, visit http://libertyresources.org/differences-between-medicare-and-medicaid/
For more information on CHC and Medicare, visit http://libertyresources.org/will-chc-affect-my-medicare/
To view and track the progress of CHC, visit http://www.nasuad.org/initiatives/tracking-state-activity/state-medicaid-integration-tracker/pennsylvania